Expert group meeting on desertification and land degradation and climate change: subregional approaches and activities
In line with the NEASPEC Strategic Plan 2021-2025, the expert group meeting aims to develop a subregional approach and propose activities on Desertification and Land Degradation (DLD) under NEASPEC for consideration by member States. To facilitate the discussion, the findings of the stock-taking study on the interlinkages of DLD and climate change and the stakeholder survey result will be presented as well.
- Remarks by Mr. Ganbaatar Myagmarjav, Deputy Minister of the Ministry of Environment and Tourism, Mongolia
- Remarks by Mr. Ganbold Baasanjav, Head of UN ESCAP Subregional Office for East and North East Asia
- Tour de Table
- Introduction of the meeting
In this session, experts will share insights on the status, trends and impacts of DLD faced by countries in North-East Asia and discuss policies in place to prevent DLD.
Moderator: Ms. Tserendulam Shagdarsuren , Director General of the Climate Change Department, Ministry of Environment and Tourism, Mongolia
- Mr. Victor Squires, Guest Professor, Chinese Academy of Forestry
- Ms. Haiying Feng, Research Professor, Beibu Gulf University, China
- Mr. Andrey Medvedev, Head of GIS and Remote Sensing Laboratory, Institute of Geography, Russian Academy of Sciences
- Mr. Ajai, Group Director and Professor (retired), Space Applications Centre, Indian Space Research Organization
- Mr. Gomboluudev, Scientific Secretary of Information Research Institute of Meteorology, Hydrology Environment of Mongolia
With the aim to identify key issues to be addressed by NEASPEC, the session will discuss the main drivers of DLD in North-East Asia and future risk factors such as climate change, among others.
Moderator: Ms. Xiaoxia Jia, Programme Officer, Science Technology and Innovation, UNCCD
- Mr. Oyunsanaa Byambasuren, Director General, National Forest Agency of Mongolia
- Mr. SungEun Kim , Economic Affairs Officer, UNESC AP Subregional Office for East and North East Asia
- Mr. Young-keun Lee, Senior Researcher, National Institute of Forest Science , Republic of Korea
- Ms.Tatiana Kuderina, Scientific and technical correspondent of Russian Federation for the UNCCD
The session will discuss tentative NEASPEC activities to address DLD in North-East Asia, avoiding duplications and creating synergies with other existing platforms such as DLDD-NEAN.
Moderator: Mr. SungEun Kim , Economic Affairs Officer, UNESCAP Subregional Office for East and North East Asia
- Mr. Junkyo Lee, Program Officer, Korea Forest Service
- Ms. Xiaoxia Jia, Programme Officer, Science Technology and Innovation, UNCCD
- Ms. Emily Marie Lim, Program Officer, Asian Forest Cooperation Organization
Discussion on tentative NEASPEC activities